World's Greatest Mom!

Friday, May 12, 2006

Thanks for a Healthy Start!



A few years ago, a good friend of mine was suffering from cancer. She told me that she attributed her cancer to an upbringing full of junky food: TV dinners and processed food everyday.
When she told me that, I immediately thought of my childhood, full of freshly made whole wheat bread and shiloh dogs, and I realized for the first time what a gift my parents gave to me!
Growing up with all that "made from scratch, whole grain goodness", I would often look around and feel sorry for myself that my sandwich was small and brown compared to everyone else's fluff bread sandwiches. But now I look at things from an entirely different perspective. It takes A LOT of work to make fresh, wholesome food, especially for a large family. It costs a lot more and takes considerably more preparation time. I realize now what a sacrifice it was for you and Dad to go about things "the healthy way", and I really appreciate the healthy start you gave us kids! (see the sculpture above: "White Vs. Wheat Bread Battle!")
Now I have my own family, and there is not a day that goes by where I am not thinking, "How did my parents do it SO WELL?" You continue to amaze and impress me with your many talents and ability to handle so many roles with ease. Basically, you ROCK!
I love you Mom,
Happy Mother's Day!
Janis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home